Friday, October 5, 2007

I've been using my new iPod Touch to browse the web from anywhere I can get wifi. Its a huge time waster, but one thing that would make it a much better time waster would be the inclusion of the super-cool iPhone version of Google Reader. Going to Google Reader on the iPhone produces a completely different page than on the iPod Touch. It appears that the only difference between the iPhone version of MobileSafari and the iPod Touch version of MobileSafari is the User Agent String.

It must be a pretty simple fix, lots of applications have been updated for iPod Touch support and I haven't noticed any problems. So why is Google dragging its feet on iPod Touch support?

The hopefully simple answer is that Google is a huge corporation and it takes a certain amount of time to roll out a new feature, even if that feature is an extra User Agent String detection.

What I'm more concerned about is the supposed partnership between Google and Apple. Steve Jobs has said that the iPod Touch is training wheels for the iPhone and that he only included MobileSafari to allow the iPod Touch to get wifi access to download from the fancy new iTunes Store. I'm not sure if he really meant that and I hope he didn't, but part of the Google-Apple partnership might include a stipulation to not support the iPod Touch with the iPhone Google apps. Since I seem to need training wheels.

Prove me wrong Google. I want to use your services, but it seems like you and Apple are trying hard to un-make me a customer.




No comments: